A Palm Springs Weekend

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

MTBBill

MTBBill
  • Mountain Biker
  • 125 posts
For the last year or so JD and I have been talking about a gathering of sorts in the Palm Springs area as there is much goodness to ride there. So JD finally pulled the trigger and threw out a date and remarkably it worked. So a cast of some of the usual suspects here on Trail Grafitti converged on Palm Springs the first weekend of December. Bryce gets the award for the most miles traveled as he came from Ohio. While some arrived Thursday night, the full crew would not get together until Friday afternoon. Bill and I made plans to sneak in some early riding with the Thursday crew prior to our planned PM ride.

Day One

The first offering of the day was the Thomas Mountain/Ramona Trail.
The downhill of this ride is a real hoot that starts out buff and progressively gets technical as you make your way down the mountain.
Posted Image
Tiggerider
Posted Image
Bryce
Posted Image
MrMountainHop

After all of the morning fun, we went down the road aways and met up with the NorCal contingent and well as JD for the afternoon ride.
We will refer to this trail as KTS #2 (KTS = Kinda Top Secret). It is a nice bit of singletrack that is narrow and raw. It is wonderfull but fragile and could not handle much abuse at all so it will remain in the "Show But Don't Tell" catergory.
Posted Image
GeeDubb
Posted Image
JustSomeGuy
Posted Image
We finished the ride in the waning moments of daylight and the rest of the evening was spent enjoying mighty tasty and hard to find beers while recanting stories of truck keys and missing skewers. More to follow... (For those there feel free to jump in)

LaVern

LaVern

international GOON during bicycle polo

• Spokejunkie
  • 1,754 posts
  • Interests:time space continuum. Mark 16:17-20. coffee and cigarettes. bicycle polo. ladies on bicycles.
bryce is one ugly dood? agreed?

sounds like a stinkin good time. i wanna meet up with you folks in 07
eye dno't ralley hvae aynhtnig clveer ot sya

Axis

Axis

... Bold as Love

• Mountain Biker
  • 3,955 posts
  • Interests:BMX, DH, Urban, Trail Riding and XC.
Great story and great pics. Looks like a fun time.

Edited by Axis, 11 December 2006 - 10:05 PM.

Posted Image

MTBBill

MTBBill
  • Mountain Biker
  • 125 posts
Day Two - Palm Canyon and the Flat Feast
Palm Canyon is one the most "out there" rides we have in Southern California. The rides stresses self-sufficiency while rewarding you with huge vistas, off-camber narrow singletrack, ridges, stream beds, rocks, sand, cacti, and all sorts of other desert goodness. This ride will nearly overload your senses. Jeff came in Friday night to join us on this ride. Last year, Tiggerider, Gary, JD and I did this ride and had no flats took our time, did some trail work and still finished the ride in a touch over six hours. We had come up with a theory that a smaller group of riders in the same general skill catergory should have less mechancials making for a quicker ride. The real hazard of this ride is the wide range of temps that can occur and the time it can take you to complete this 30 plus mile route. We had to throw out our theory at the end of this ride. We were rolling on the trail around 9:30AM near the base of Santa Rosa Mountain at 4,500ft and finished at dark dark back in Palm Springs at around 500ft. Everyone will have to chime in to get a full account of all the stuff that happened, but we had at least 13 flats.

Posted Image
GeeDub in the upper portions
Posted Image
Bryce Rolling along
Posted Image
Early on in the flat tire count. Notice someone is already thinking they are late for beers.
Posted Image
While this route drops around 6,000 feet there is plenty of climbing to be had.
Posted Image
All told there is about 2,000 feet of climbing to be done on this ride.
Posted Image
JustSomeGuy and Tiggerider working thier way up the 3-mile Drywash "road". Objects in the background of this picture are much further away than they appear. This climb pretty much wipes off that stupid smile everyone has at the bottom of this climb after taking in about 14 miles of Palm Canyon
Posted Image
We had some major flat delays that were caused my poorly timed mulitple flats. We spent nearly an hour hanging out at Mike Desert Riders Oasis which is basically some old tables and a busted up dozer.

Posted Image
This should be the part where I show you awesome pictures of the Hahn Buena Vista Trail which is by far one of the most awesome long bits of single track you will find just about anywhere in Southern California. uhhhhh no, I was having far far too much fun as we ripped and flowed our way down this narrow rocky and scenic trail where the views themselves are significant hazards. We were starting to push against daylight and while waiting to regroup at the bottom, I was working time-distance-speed equations in my head.

After the Hahn we climbed the Cathedral Canyon trail back up to Dunn Road (An old remenant of a dirt road) and decided to take a partial bailout. We did not have enough time to go up Fern Canyon and take the most awesome Wildhorse trail into the final segment of ride, The Goat Trails.

We bailed and took Dunn Road south. It pained me to loose elevation on a fireroad. We stopped at a second route into the Goat Trails and it was here that we split up. I figured we most likely had enough time to finish the Goat Trails before dark dark. A few continued on down the dirt road while the rest of us took an old jeep road that lead to a single track that connected with the Clair Burgess trail and downward into the Goat Trails via the east instead of the north which is my preferred method. Once we did a little uphill slogging we were flowing downhill on the kickbutt Goat Trails singletrack. The last half mile is the most technical of the entire route which is always made interesting by the fact you have 30 miles on your legs and you are often using the last minutes of daylight like we were.

That night was enjoyed more good food and beers. However we were all moving a little funny and slow. Good Times.

Edited by MTBBill, 12 December 2006 - 09:41 AM.

justsomeguy

justsomeguy
  • Mountain Biker
  • 36 posts
Day three, Art Smith Trail

lonewolf

lonewolf

Spokejunkie

• Spokejunkie
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Biking, hiking, gardening,growing orchids. Some times I just like to hang out in the woods for the solitude. Work is doing quality controll for a plastics company . Grew up in the middle of Wayne National Forest in Lawrence County Ohio. Love riding the road or the trail. Favorite place is Lake Hope.
Saweet ..... :D
Set the animal inside you free .....
http://360.yahoo.com/jamie7378

catch22

catch22
  • Mountain Biker
  • 153 posts
Great pics fellas, looks like an incredible weekend despite the flats. I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of them while cringing at the thought of seeing what else I missed out on. Keep em coming and maybe I'll learn my lesson for next time a trip like this comes up.

Big Gunn

Big Gunn

spokejunkie

• Spokejunkie
  • 110 posts

Great pics fellas, looks like an incredible weekend despite the flats. I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of them while cringing at the thought of seeing what else I missed out on. Keep em coming and maybe I'll learn my lesson for next time a trip like this comes up.

Makes me wish the 07 Utah trip was next week. Can't wait

wheatgerm

wheatgerm

Spokejunkie

• Admin
  • 1,303 posts
Hey Bomber, how was that 2,000 feet of climbing?

It sure looks worth it though!

J.D.

J.D.

Charlie Charlie Tango

• Spokejunkie
  • 1,572 posts
  • Interests:life
A fantastic weekend of riding! I kept the camera stowed until Sunday because of the time factor on Friday afternoon's ride and to carry Gatorade instead on Saturday's ride. It was intenso and extremo.

Posted Image
Just some dewd

Posted Image
Some Bill dude on the rocks

Posted Image
Some other Bill dude on the rocks. Turn one of four sequential similar ones.

Posted Image
Switchbacks galore

Posted Image
Getting a run at more granite climbing

Posted Image
Where's Billbo?

Posted Image
NorCal represent! Some Mike dude exiting a switchback

Posted Image
One of the many palm oases
am-b

catch22

catch22
  • Mountain Biker
  • 153 posts

A fantastic weekend of riding! I kept the camera stowed until Sunday because of the time factor on Friday afternoon's ride and to carry Gatorade instead on Saturday's ride. It was intenso and extremo.

Damn JD, incredible suff there, nice pics. Glad you guys had fun out there. Already counting the days til the So UT weekend and the FFTF.

What's up with the new image thing on here? Do we just upload the full size ones and it automatically resizes for us? Not that I have any new riding pics to share, just for future reference.

wheatgerm

wheatgerm

Spokejunkie

• Admin
  • 1,303 posts
Those are some sick switchbacks!!!!

Hunter

Hunter

Spokejunkie

• Spokejunkie
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Trail & Road
Believe it or not I was there too for the Palm Canyon Ride. What an adventure. I had a great time. Talk about an epic ride. We did 35 miles, we started at 9:15 and rode to the hotel and got there at 5:30. It was was the longest ride I have done on a mountain bike. The Guys I rode with that day were the best that you could ride with. Here's a few shots I got. And Start calling you Bomber, the Sandman.

Attached Files

You're as Young as You Feel and You're as Old as You Act

MrMountainHop

MrMountainHop
  • Mountain Biker
  • 120 posts
Great pics, guys. Here are a couple more:

Posted Image
Bill P in tight quarters.

Posted Image
JD flashin' the Double-S. Pictures don't do it justice - it's steep and nasty.

Posted Image
Some Guy eyeballin' the double-S. He too would clean it in one shot. It took me three tries, but, damnit, I did it!

Posted Image
Mike on liftoff.

Posted Image
From the previous day on Palm Canyon. Some cactus somewhere got a full day's supply of iron.

Killer weekend!

Bomber

Bomber

Spokejunkie

• Spokejunkie
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Mt. Biking (of course)<br />Ice Hockey (Best sport in the world)<br />Golf (not anymore, too expensive)<br />Traveling (any where)

Believe it or not I was there too for the Palm Canyon Ride. What an adventure. I had a great time. Talk about an epic ride. We did 35 miles, we started at 9:15 and rode to the hotel and got there at 5:30. It was was the longest ride I have done on a mountain bike. The Guys I rode with that day were the best that you could ride with. Here's a few shots I got. And Start calling you Bomber, the Sandman.

Hey Hunter/Moab I keep getting an error message, saying I cant view Hunters pics. It states, I dont have permission to view them.
Amsterdam coffee/weed rocks

Moab

Moab

Fearless Leader

• Admin
  • 3,545 posts
ok give it a shot now..let me know
Living the Dream
Spokejunkies.com

wheatgerm

wheatgerm

Spokejunkie

• Admin
  • 1,303 posts

ok give it a shot now..let me know

I can view Hunter's pictures now. Thanks Moab.

BTW, cool pictures. I'm jealous.

LaVern

LaVern

international GOON during bicycle polo

• Spokejunkie
  • 1,754 posts
  • Interests:time space continuum. Mark 16:17-20. coffee and cigarettes. bicycle polo. ladies on bicycles.
i so wanna meet up in 07.

no matter what they say, cactus sex does not feel right

excellent pics!!
eye dno't ralley hvae aynhtnig clveer ot sya

tiggerrider

tiggerrider
  • Mountain Biker
  • 142 posts
Oh where to start. GREAT BEER and the riding was good to. Possible The slow pace on Sat. Palm canyon run had something to do with GREAT BEER Friday night.
Thanks Jerry and Bill for getting this trip to happen. What a a fun weekend Did I say we had a good group. I think this years flat had some thing to do with More Thorn in the trail. Maybe because of all the rain that had happen in one year. But Last year the Catus was taking it donation to. Jerry Leg Last year.
Posted Image

Friday mornning run had few stops maybe because the trail was just to Nice. But We did stop at this one spot. Which Bill needed to learn The trail Goes to the Left.
Posted Image

Oh That left
Posted Image

Bomber Also like the trail to going to Left too.
Posted Image
Ok Bill Gets it now after a bit of studying this tuff move. Plus Gary was Calling him.
Posted Image

Thanks Again for a fun trip and looking forward to seeing everyone again soon. And Bill After to Push me of the Hahn Buena Vista single track I did take a picture of you going by me Below. What a great single Track.
Posted Image

I hope everyone has a safe and fun Chistmas and a happy New year. Plus If any one headed down to Tuscon for christmas I be down there riding so drop me a line.

catch22

catch22
  • Mountain Biker
  • 153 posts
More great pics MrMtHop and Kevin, those cacti must be pretty brutal! I'll go ahead and second what Kevin said, hope everyone enjoys the holidays and has safe travels wherever we all are heading. Looking forward to meeting more of you fellas and getting in on some great trips in the new year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users