• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

Peugeot Joe

Peugeot Joe

Spokejunkie

• Spokejunkie
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Anything Outdoors, Medieval History, Amateur Radio
I'm deployed to Kuwait and looking to buy a bike. I'm leaning towards a single speed because I don't want maintenance issues and this place is even flatter than Ohio. The PX sells these really cheap mountain bikes called the Salcano Excel for $99.

How difficult is it to convert a gearie to SS? Am I likely to find a SS online for that price?

I have a Redline Monocog back home, so I'm not wanting to ship this one back. I also want to do this as cheaply as possible in case I can't sell it and I toss it in a dumpster when I leave.

Thanks,
Joe

ETA: Found this site (http://www.singlespe...peedhowto.shtml), but would still like to know if there are cheap single speeds out there.
How many bitches is that? - spoken at Scioto Trails

ghost

ghost
  • Admin
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Mountan biking, Web design, Pie
you can ghetto rig a SS pretty easy if you don't care about it being pretty. Depending on how long you are out there for that 99 dollar no name bike sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Are you just riding roads with it?

Peugeot Joe

Peugeot Joe

Spokejunkie

• Spokejunkie
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Anything Outdoors, Medieval History, Amateur Radio
The camp where I'm stationed only has three paved roads. The rest of the place looks like Tatooine. So to answer your question, packed gravel with the occasional sand drift.
How many bitches is that? - spoken at Scioto Trails

ghost

ghost
  • Admin
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Mountan biking, Web design, Pie
Haha sounds like a great place. Well considering all that, why not just pick up the cheap bike you have access to there and just ride it as is until it starts acting up then convert it to SS. Just bc it has gears doesn't mean you have to use them. Just a thought, I am not much for working on bikes so, that is just what I would do.

Ebay may have a good deal here or there but 99 is hard to beat if the bike fits you. Although, shipping to the ass end of the planet would probably be a pain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users