• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

E_Rae

E_Rae

Spokejunkie

• Admin
  • 990 posts
24 Rules of the Trail: Commandments of Mountain Biking

There are certain rules every mountain biker should live by on the trail. Let’s run them down…

1.Pay It Forward – Tubes, quick-links, a helping hand. You’ll need it one day too.

2. You brought it out…you bring it home – No one likes a litterbug. Keep the trail clean.

3. Know your role – Fast climber? Get up front. Slow descender? Get in the back.

4. Bike worth does not equal biking ability – Everyone loves the latest and greatest…but it doesn’t increase skill.

5. Be Self Sufficient – Always bring what you need…and sometimes more.

6. Know Basic Bike Maintenance – Be able to fix your own flat…

7. Treat Other Riders Like You Would Want To Be Treated – No one likes a jackass.

8. It’s Only A Race If The Other Participants Know They Are Participating – You didn’t beat your friend on the climb if you are the only one that knew it was a race.

9. If A Rider Catches You…It Doesn’t Mean They Want You To Ride Faster – Move to the side and let the rider by. Also see #3.

10. Music While Riding Is Great…Unless You Are Oblivious – If you are going to wear earphones while riding, check around you constantly for other riders.

11.Know Your Abilities – Don’t get too far over your head.

12. Just Because You Can’t Ride It…Doesn’t Mean Others Can’t – Mountain biking should be a progression. Not all trails can be wide and groomed.

13. You Have Zero Room To Bitch If You Didn’t Work On The Trail – Try not to be a backseat driver to trail work.

14.There Is No Cure For UGI – Upgradeitius is a serious disease for which there is no cure.

15. Beware Of Rider Recommendations – The best bike for a friend may not be the best bike for you. Everyone thinks they are on the best mountain bike on the market.

16. Don’t Be “That Guy or Gal” – You know the one…the guy/gal that brags about their time on local loops and doesn’t ride anywhere else. Enjoy your ride…it isn’t a contest.

17. In Shape Does Not Equal Technical Ability – You are in shape…awesome…but that does not make you a better rider. It just makes you able to ride longer.

18. Riding Keeps You Young – Yes…that guy/gal that is twice your age will still drop you.

19. No One Looks Good In Lycra…Especially Mountain Bikers – Bring a change of clothes…lycra is not “going out” wear.

20. Mexican Food Is The Perfect After Ride Meal – Don’t know why…it just is.

21. Diversity Is A Good Thing – Different bikes, different styles, different personalities. It would be dreadfully boring if we were all the same.

22. Any Holiday Is An Excuse To Ride – Why are we riding today? Because today ends in a y.

23. Support Those That Support You – Support your local IMBA and local advocacy chapters. They do more than just work on trails.

24. Riding Is The Best Therapy – Self explanatory…

AMEN!!
www.Medaboutyou2.com Your source for Medical & Sports ID - For the Wrist, Shoe or Helmet. Protect Yourself!

spalmer622

spalmer622
  • Mountain Biker
  • 23 posts
Agree x 24. Love this list. Well, except for #19 maybe. I think Lycra could be a good look for me :)

Fermenter

Fermenter

Spokejunkie

• Spokejunkie
  • 1,314 posts
All very good!
Vanless :(

Happiness is only achieved when shared.

E_Rae

E_Rae

Spokejunkie

• Admin
  • 990 posts

Agree x 24. Love this list. Well, except for #19 maybe. I think Lycra could be a good look for me :)

LOL! - not sure I agree totally with the lycra comment, but it depends on whos wearing it!! :D :D
www.Medaboutyou2.com Your source for Medical & Sports ID - For the Wrist, Shoe or Helmet. Protect Yourself!

Jeff T

Jeff T
  • Mountain Biker
  • 469 posts
The rules should be amended to clarify that any rider who attempts to convert another rider from 26" wheels to 29" wheels shall buy the beer at the post-ride dinner.

wheatgerm

wheatgerm

Spokejunkie

• Admin
  • 1,303 posts

The rules should be amended to clarify that any rider who attempts to convert another rider from 26" wheels to 29" wheels shall buy the beer at the post-ride dinner.

650B!!!!!

paco

paco
  • Spokejunkie
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:camping - mountain biking - road biking - skiing - music - beach life
im all over the lycra. especially if you are out of town on a ride and you stop by an "out of the way" snack shop on your way home. all is well as long as there is no bango music.

worm

worm

Spokejunkie

• Spokejunkie
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Everyone said I was playing disco. Now Its everywhere.. As usual i'm ahead of the curve. (Except when I miss it, then I'm airborn.)
Lycra day is is my chance to blend in with the freaks at WAL-Mart. :) UUMM... if youre sitting a moterized chair yyoure thigs should not drag the ground.. there only rated for 650 lbs!! I SAW the sticker!

Spudzie

Spudzie

Shortcut Expert

• Spokejunkie
  • 1,622 posts
  • Interests:bicycles, beer, friends, long rides with no where to go, excploring the back roads of licking county
I love it
as for lycra...road use only

J.D.

J.D.

Charlie Charlie Tango

• Spokejunkie
  • 1,572 posts
  • Interests:life
Correction:
16. Don’t Be “That Guy or Gal” – You know the one…the guy/gal that brags about their time on local loops and doesn’t ride anywhere else. Good riders come and go, barneys accumulate.

25. No Skidiots. Ride it, don't slide it.
am-b

Moab

Moab

Fearless Leader

• Admin
  • 3,545 posts
JD are you back to hitting the dirt?? Im in flagstaff these days..Truly underrated for the riding here
Living the Dream
Spokejunkies.com

ChainGangster

ChainGangster
  • Mountain Biker
  • 91 posts
"19. No One Looks Good In Lycra…Especially Mountain Bikers – Bring a change of clothes…lycra is not “going out” wear.

This is acutally something I've been seriously thinking alot about over the last couple of years. I'd like to design a whole line of biking apparel that is presentable when riding and when not riding. The whole Lance Armstrong look needs to be replaced with a more "hetero," casual style look where you can ride your bike somewhere and actually walk amongst the general population without looking like Richard Simmons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users